Wednesday, November 20, 2013

November "Glow" & "Grow"

Ooops...I wrote this as a draft a while ago, but forgot to publish!  :o

Glow:  I am so excited that my Literacy Work Station time has been so successful!  My group of Little's is one AMAZING group of kids!  They all work so well together.  This year I've changed things up a little bit: 1.) I provide more choice for the kids.  2.) The stations are differentiated and open-ended.  3.) I change up partnerships every week vs. once a quarter.  I can't quite pin-point if it is one specific change or a combination, but my Little's are more engaged and on task this year. 

Grow:  One area where I have found some frustration is during Writer's Workshop.  I love W.W. and have seen a TON of growth in their writing since the beginning of the year, however, what do I do with a couple of students who are not showing their potential during this time?  If I sit with them to help them stretch words out, and encourage them they do a good job, but when I turn my attention and conference with others, these same students just sit there.  How can I help them become more independent during this time?  Please help as any advice would be greatly appreciated.

1 comment:

  1. I would LOVE to come and see your Literacy Work Stations in action. I enjoyed hearing about them at the conference. They sound amazing!
    If they are low level learners, I would write a sentence for them and then they can copy it and draw a picture about it. This would help them be successful and hopefully encourage them to be on task if they had something to accomplish. If they are capable learners, I would talk to them BEFORE you start conferencing and make a plan on what they will be working on and make sure that you let them know that you will be checking back with them to see their work. I always use recess time and play time (some teachers will disagree) as a time they could finish their work. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete