Friday, November 1, 2013

Marzano's What Works in Schools

For this weeks assignment we were to read Chapter 1 from Marzano's What Works in Schools and answer some questions that are outlined below.

My Notes:

  • Marzano believes that effective schools provide interventions for students that are designed to overcome student background that might hinder their learning (p. 8).
  • Research indicates that schools, when run effectively, make a big difference in student achievement (p. 7). 
  • Effective schools do make a difference in student achievement (p. 6).
  • 3 general factors influence student academic achievement 
      1. school level
      2. teacher level
      3. student level


Do you agree with him? Disagree? Why?
     I do agree that there are 3 general factors that influence student academic achievement.  The old adage: "it takes a village to raise a child" comes into mind.  With today's society, children coming from various backgrounds (single parent families, double income families, multiple family housing, ethnicity, etc.) I think that it is not just the responsibility of the teacher, it also takes the family/parents/care-givers and individual student assertion to accomplish goals.
     I also fully agree with interventions.  When students are not meeting grade-level goals, it is important to find different ways to help them accomplish them by providing tiered support.
     Another point that I agree with is that individual schools within a district should have more power, as opposed to district-wide sanctions.  I'm lucky that I'm part of a small district where we only have 1 elementary, 1 middle & 1 high school.  I've seen districts where they have multiple schools at each level and try to enforce the same rules for everyone...it just doesn't work!
     One part that I'm not at all experienced with is students coming from different cultural and socioeconomic backgrounds.  Like I stated, I teach in a small community where there is not a lot of diversity.  I have a class of 20 Caucasian students, so I'm not familiar with designing interventions for students with varying backgrounds, something that I think would be difficult.

No comments:

Post a Comment