Monday, December 23, 2013

Marzano Summary

After reading Marzano's chapter entitled Instructional Strategies from his book What Works in Schools: Translating Research into Action,  we had an assignment to choose 3-5 strategies to implement into our teaching.  Below are 3 instructional strategies that I chose to implement :
1.  Setting objectives
       What I did:
Before beginning a new unit of study or a new topic/concept I was strategic in my explanation on why we were going to be learning what we were learning.  As a class we discussed and posted what we would be learning and why.  We made up a chart that we posted in our room and we were able to refer back to it often.  After awhile, the students were referring back to it on their own when
       Why I felt the need to implement it:
I think that it is important for the children to know why we need to learn.  I think that by setting objectives and talking about them first, it gives the students a goal or a purpose to learn.  Furthermore, by setting objectives I think that it helps them make connections to their own lives.
       How it went:
It was nice to have a "big idea" in mind throughout the lessons and I think that the children were able to clearly see an end goal (or objective) and make personal connections throughout the unit.
       Successes/Challenges:
We were able to have a big idea the whole time (success).
We referred back to it often (success).
It would be difficult to do this for everything that we are learning (challenge).
2.  Identifying Similarities & Differences (through Graphic Organizers)
        What I did:
While reading several versions of the classic tale The Gingerbread Boy, we created a Venn Diagram comparing the stories.  We used a graphic organizer (which Marzano notes gives students a 22% academic gain) to compare and contrast stories (which Marzano notes gives students a 45% academic gain.)   
        Why I felt the need to implement it:
According to Marzano, by identifying similarities and differences students can make a 45% gain in student achievement.   I decided to do this through the use of a graphic organizer to help students see connections between stories.
        How it went:
It was easier for the students to remember the characters in each story as well as making comparisons between the stories.  They referred back to them when they were retelling the stories in pairs.
        Successes/Challenges:
The students seemed to be able to make connections between the stories easier when we used a Venn Diagram. 
3.  Homework
        What I did: 
For kindergarten, there is not much homework assigned.  Our grade level however, sends home a generic homework packet with the students each week targeting the kindergarten curriculum in general.  To streamline the homework, I decided to make the homework packet reinforce the specific content that we had been working at in school during each week. 
        Why I felt the need to implement it:
After reading Marzano's chapter, it prompted me to take a closer look at homework.  According to Marzano, by assigning homework students can make a 28% gain in academics.  That was a huge number compared to all of the other suggested strategies. 
        How it went:
I figure out what I was going to teach each week and compiled a packet of activities/games/worksheets that corresponded with the content that I was planning on teaching.  I did not take any specific record keeping, but I did notice that their work at school was increasing in quality and content.
        Successes/Challenges:
Since I haven't been strict on homework coming back, I had a difficult time with enough students returning the packets.  I think that if I were to do this next year, I would make my intentions clear that I wanted the packet to be returned so I could see what families were actually doing the homework. 

No comments:

Post a Comment