Monday, December 23, 2013

Technology Implementation Refelction

One of our assignments for class this last semester was to integrate more technology into our teaching.  I choose to utilize the SMART Board and the iPad during our Literacy Work Station time. 
SMART Board~
Last spring I bought some interactive Cd's from Lakshore that help students practice specific kindergarten skills.  The SMART Board was a station that the kids could choose to work at with a partner or independently.  This worked well because I have been modeling how to use our classroom "baby" all year.  Like I stated in an earlier post, the kids were very on-task and engaged, not to mention motivated to use the SMART Board.  I think that they felt a sense of responsibility and ownership for their learning while at the SMART Board Station. I also enjoyed this time because I could easily monitor their work and could see the learning that was taking place.  Furthermore, I was still able to work with my small groups in the back of the room and there was little to no interruptions of my small group time from the children working at the SMART Board Station.
iPads~    
During this time, I also utilized my teacher iPad.  Originally, I wanted to use both of my iPads (my personal one and my teacher one) but since I was still collecting data on my personal iPad for my AR project, I only made one available to my students and they had to use it with a partner.  This worked well as I was able to teach the kids what games were available.  They were also very on-task and engaged while using the iPad.  I think that by making them share not only taught them how to share, but it also taught them how to problem solve.  When surveyed, the students were most excited to use the iPad during station time. 

1 comment:

  1. I love your idea of the smartboard with the interactive CD's. I have always wondered how kids would like them. I think they sound like something I will want to try when I get a smartboard in my room. They always looked so fun when I saw them playing when I went to Lakeshore.

    ReplyDelete