Thursday, January 16, 2014

January Glow & Grow

Glow:
For my current AR cycle I have been researching Learning Centers (I call them Stations).  I have had Stations in my room since I began teaching 9 years ago and each year have been trying to perfect the "craft".  I'm not quite sure if it's the group of kids that I have this year, or if it's all of the things that I've changed about my implementation, but they are going so AMAZING!  Anyway, before Christmas break I noticed that my students' handwriting was getting a little too "relaxed" (i.e. messy!) So, after they got back from break I opened up a new Handwriting Station.  At the Station I have an iPad where the kids have to practice correct letter formation through an app called Letter School, then they have a handwriting sheet to complete.  I have to say that it is going well as it has improved their handwriting tremendously!  I've also noticed that they are more often than not start at the top when writing their letters.  They seem motivated to complete the handwriting sheet more neatly after they have practiced correct letter formation on the iPad.  I just love technology...I'd love to hear how do you use the iPad in your classroom?



Grow:
Okay, so one of my favorite subjects for as long as I can remember has been Science.  A few years ago I purchased a piece of furniture that would serve as my "Science Station" and it contains a lot of interesting artifacts and what the kids like to call "fun stuff."  However, what I am finding difficult is periodically replenishing it with new resources.  My kids are totally engaged and discover and explore at the station, but sometimes it feels more like a "play" center...my question then is: Should it be just that...play (and discovery)???  Or, should I somehow have them provide some type of evidence to hold them accountable for their learning?

4 comments:

  1. Hi Jessica!
    Your handwriting station looks AWESOME! I may have to steal that idea. I would like to incorporate that into my Daily 5 (Work on Writing) and we just recieved a new iPad too! Where did you get your handwriting sheets?
    I use my iPads for Listening to Reading. I just LOVE Scholastics STORIA app. They kids love it too! I also have my iPad open for Literacy and Math Tubs each day where students work on an app that is at their level.
    As far as the Science Center I would use it as discovery but maybe have a recording sheet where they have to draw and/or write what they did or learned while there???

    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jennifer,
      Thanks for stopping by! Actually, the handwriting sheets were handed down from a former kinder teacher. I don't even have the originals, just a copy of them. However, there are some great resources on TPT. In fact, I just downloaded a pack that I will begin using next week as a mini-handwriting intervention.
      I love the Storia app too! I just wish that I had more books on there...trying to save up my Scholastic points for a mini iPad...I'm almost there!
      Thanks for the idea of an accountability sheet. I like that I could keep it open-ended and therefore I won't need to change it out every week/month!
      Take care!

      Delete
  2. Love your handwriting station! For science you could leave it as explore but if something pertains to a standard you are targeting then I would provide something for them to record.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rhea,
      I like the idea of connecting it with a standard. Sometimes it's hard for me to just let them explore- i.e. "play". With all the standards that must be taught, it feels like I need to gather some sort of hard-evidence of learning that is taking place. I'll check on TPT to see if someone has created a packet that would go well at the Science Station.
      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete