Saturday, June 1, 2013

Constructivism

May 7th, 2013
My Constructivist Learning Theory Thoughts:
I enjoyed reading the Look Before You Leap article. I thought that the inventory was very interesting because I could clearly see the area that I need to work on to truly crate a constructivist classroom (assessment-they really don’t have any say in how they are assessed!) However, I think at the Kindergarten level, having a constructivist view comes naturally for me because I believe that is how children learn best....by doing, moving, investigating and experiencing. My score was a 137 and I even went back to see if I fully understood the answers and it was still pretty accurate! The children (and even myself) in the “Camping Room” learn through play, discovery, cooperation and almost all hands-on activities. I do, however, show my campers how to play a game/activity or how to use a specific manipulative to help with their learning and then put the new activity in one of our Work Stations a.k.a. stations. My campers then get to have a choice of what activity/game they will use/play to help guide their learning for that specific concept. For example: if we are learning a new high frequency word I will include multiple ways for the students to learn and explore. I might add play-doh, colored sand or wiki stix with a set of flashcards; sight word bottles, magnetic letters, sight word books & highlighters, add the word to our “spelling test” on the iPad, various letter/word building manipulatives, sight word puzzles, sentence scrambles, sight word search & find write the room, listening to books on iPod/CD focusing on the specific sight word, and even worksheets with the sight word in it for those who learn through this type of practice. For each work station my campers have 10-15 different choices on how they want to learn the concept. I do not require them to do all of the activities at each station; instead I let them choose the activities/games in which they are interested in. I also let the students determine whether they want to work in small groups or if they would like to work individually. After our Work Station time is done, we gather on the carpet and share what we have worked on/learned during our time. I know when to change the stations out by the observations that I make on student behavior. When the students start getting “Squirrely” at the stations that tells me that they are getting “bored” with the activities at that station. I simply teach them something new that fits the level/concepts in which they are learning. I try to scaffold their learning as much as possible to fit the needs of all of my students. If it is a new activity that they are not engaged in, it means that I have not done a good enough job at modeling how the activity/game is played and I can quickly intervene.

My favorite quote from this article is: “you can teach students anything; but it doesn’t mean they have learned a thing”. They have to make it meaningful to their own lives!

Minor Changes
The area that I would like to improve on would be more choice for the students.  I think that they do get many opportunities to choose how they would like to learn, however, they don’t get a lot of choice of what they want to learn.  I guess that there has never been a lot of time for me to allow them the choice of what they want to learn.  I look at the standards and our end of the year objectives and I base their learning/my instruction off those goals and try to make sure that all students are getting the instruction that they need by the end of the year.  In order to get things done throughout the day I put them into table groups, I pair them with their workstation partners & I am the one who decides what workstation they go to.  Maybe a little more freedom will empower them to still make good educational choices for themselves. I guess we’ll see... stay tuned! 
Another area that I would like to do a better job for instruction is feedback and conversations after the learning has taken place.  I want to see if an individual truly has a secure understanding of a concept through authentic conversations, not just summative assessment.  I also want to seek out and value my students’ point of view. 
 

May 14th, 2013
The Constructivist Learning Theory (CLT) ties nicely into other areas that I have been learning about.  The CLT is the umbrella that encompasses Instructional Strategies, Backwards Design, Assessment and my Action Research topic of Differentiated Instruction.  While reviewing a power point based on In Search of Understanding: The Case for Constructivist Classrooms by Brooks and Brooks, I was able to easily make many connections between assessment, backwards design, instructional strategies, and differentiated instruction.  As I was reading, I made a visual map showing the elements of constructivism and all of its relationships.  Even after just a few notes my visual map had arrows pointing all over the place.  Here are some of the connections that I made, see my visual map below.

May 22nd, 2013
After creating my “Visual Constructivist Map” last week, I have a new understanding how all of what I’ve been learning about in class is intertwined.  There are so many new connections being made.  Some of the connections I know are best practices, but I’m also making new connections as to why they are best practices and how everything I do needs to be intentional because it is all in some way connected.   This week is the last week of school and unfortunately it has not allowed much time for teaching.  Fortunately, to make our Kindergarten year memorable, every day has been filled with either a field trip, outside kindergarten stations, summer birthday celebrations or school-wide celebrations.   So, a baby step that I am excited to try next school year to become more of a constructivist teacher is to focus more on assessment.  I would like the students to have more of a say in their assessments.  I think that by having their input, they will personalize their educational choices and make more meaningful connections.   I think that this will have a positive outcome because it will allow for more differentiation and real-learning opportunities.

No comments:

Post a Comment