Saturday, June 1, 2013

Backwards Design Unit


May 22nd, 2013

Because school is getting out so early for us and the topic that I choose for my Backwards Design (BD) unit I knew that I had to have all of my ducks in a row right away.  For my BD unit I decided to focus on Living & Non-Living Things because it was the only major independent unit of study that I had yet to teach this year.  Another reason I choose this unit is because it seems like every year when I teach living & non-living it is very unintentional and rushed.  This year I had plenty of time to plan and implement it.  I planned for this unit to take 3 weeks to complete.  I began teaching the week of April 22 and wrapped it up on May 10th (just in time for Mother’s Day).  How’s that for intentional?  So, here are the answers to how my unit went:
A)  How did planning with the standards at the forefront of the unit impact your teaching?                                                                                                                                     I I think that by planning with the standards at the forefront of the unit greatly impacted my teaching.  I didn’t use just fun stuff in my instruction to make things look cute; I used necessary tools and had specific learner outcomes in mind so I could instruct with intention. I had a very focused direction that I went when teaching Living & Non-Living Things.  I had a “Big Idea” that was driving my lesson planning.

B)  How did you utilize the enduring understandings and essential questions while you were teaching the unit? What was their impact?  
The Essential Questions guided my discussions with my students.  They also helped to guide our attention so we could stay on task.  The questions that I asked were deeper thinking and promoted authentic thoughts and ideas.  The Enduring Understandings helped to keep my lessons organized and more intentional.  I appreciated that I had a clear understanding of what I was teaching and why I was teaching it.

C)  What was the impact of creating the assessments prior to teaching the lesson? How did it alter your perspective and your teaching? How did it affect the overall learning of the students?
I loved knowing that the assessments that I used would be directly related with the learner outcomes and the kids knew what they were expected to know after this unit.  I liked that the assessments that I put into place were hands-on and that I was able to use multiples ways to assess my students’ knowledge (i.e. technology, work samples, observations and activities.  After completing the UbD Stage 2 assignment it was nice to see that most of my assessment would be formative and that I could easily adapt the lesson if my student didn’t completely understand the “Big Ideas”.

D)  Compare your teaching of this content using BD planning to times when you have taught it without planning “with the end in mind.” What did you notice? How was it different for you and/or your students?
Teaching using the BD philosophy really put things into perspective for me.  I tend to teach concepts based on what will hold the students’ attention and what will get noticed or what looks cute.  I realized that if I have a “Big Idea” at the forefront I can still do those things that are fun, but I need to make sure that the students are learning the content based on the “Big Idea”.  I would love to teach using the BD philosophy because I want my students to walk away with a deeper understanding that they can connect with.  Overall, using the BD philosophy felt very intentional and deliberate.

No comments:

Post a Comment