Saturday, June 1, 2013

AGAPE

AGAPE is an acronym for association, generative, adaptive, presence and engagement.   This was actually the first time that I had ever heard of this acronym and it’s taking a lot of self-reflection to see what this Lasallian concept means to me and my teaching practices.  The AGAPE Reflection is provided to me as an assessment processes to help me strengthen my inner life purpose of knowing: 1.) why I teach, 2.) who I am, 3.) who I want to become as teacher, and 4.) why teaching is the most important, humbling, and honorable profession in the world.  Each semester we are asked to identify 1-2 letters of the acronym to reflect on as it pertains to our teaching.  Here are my thoughts:

March 2013
Association- I think that I bring this into my practice on a few levels.  I consider myself a cheerleader with encouraging collaboration and healthy communication in relationships.  Learning from one another is extremely important and beneficial for everyone involved- students and teachers. 
1.  One way that I bring this into my practice is on a professional level with my colleagues.  I try to share and collaborate and work as a team as much as possible.  There are a couple of factors that interfere with the process however.  One way that it interferes is the location of all of the K rooms.  We are scattered throughout the building and we don’t consistently see each other so we can easily communicate & share.  The second interference is that I am the only K teacher who teaches ½ day so I am very secluded in many ways.  Fortunately, next year we will be in a new school and all of the K classrooms are all in one area so this will help with communication and collaboration.      
2.  Another way that I bring this into my practice is with my students.  I want to teach my students that they are responsible for their learning.  I encourage them to share their knowledge and teach their peers when needed.  I promote cooperative learning and collaboration amongst my students by partnering them up so they can learn from one another.    

          Some of the association features that are present in the routines and strategies I use in my practice as a teacher are collaboration, cooperation, sharing and interdependence.  One thing that I could do a better job at is using kid-friendly language to encourage the students coach each other’s learning, particularly during Literacy Work Station Time.  Sure, they have partners and can learn from one another, but I’m not sure that all of the kids know why they have the specific partner that I paired them up with.  I need to do some more explaining of my routines and practices to my students so they have a better understanding of “why” they are with the person they are with.

Generativity- I think generativity is actually one of my strongest attributes.  I take the first month of every school year just to get to know my students not only personally, but also academically.  The environment that I create is extremely caring and loving.  Our classroom is welcoming and warm.  This allows the children to feel comfortable enough to open up and become risk-takers.  I teach them respectful behavior by being respectful myself-especially when choosing my words and tone of voice.  I truly appreciate and celebrate each and every one of my students because they are all unique in their own way and have a lot to add to our classroom community.   I have never been trained in Responsive Classroom, but as I have learned more about it, I think that my teaching patterns fit it very well.  I place a high value on teamwork & community building, where everyone is a part of our room. 
          Some of the generativity features that are present in the routines and strategies I use in my practice as a teacher are celebrating each student, inviting atmosphere, appreciative of others and mutual caring.  I talk with the children more than I talk to the children.  If problems arise, we talk through them and I try to do more listening than talking.  I try to teach the children respectful behavior by modeling respectful behavior and use the motto: “treat others the way you want to be treated.    

June 2013
Adaptation- I think this area is my weakest area of them all.  The kindergarten level is so fact-based.  It is very basic learning.  However, I think that innovation, imagination, creativity, critical thinking and all of the other definitions that accompany adaptation are all still very important.  I believe that learning is best retained when it is authentic and through discovery.  I have a difficult time opening up student learning so it is student led.  I know the standards and end of year expectations and I tend to teach for the goal, not allowing the children enough opportunity to make personal life connections.   
          On the other end of the spectrum, as a learner, I have since realized that I am in the midst of “adaptation” as I travel through this program to attain my Masters Degree.  Since starting this journey last fall I have grown so much and learned what it means to adapt my way of teaching and learning.  My thoughts and actions have transformed and changed along the way.  I have experienced growth and expanded my thinking and learning through creating a unit by following the Backwards Design philosophy, by learning about the various forms of assessment, by reading about and implementing new instructional strategies and by reading and researching for my Action Research.  Through all of this I have adapted my teaching into more of a constructivist teacher.


November 2013
Presence- This is an area where I feel 50/50.  I am a very empathetic, spirit-filled, love-centered person.  I try my hardest to create a safe and inviting environment for interpersonal risk-taking.  I am a responsive listener and I scaffold in problem-solving situations.  However, I feel like I could do a better job with critical self-reflection.  Sometimes I am controlling (I like things done in a certain way...) in the classroom and can sometimes be object focused and not person centered.  That is when I need to step back and remind myself that my students are only 5 or 6 years old and what they produce will not always be perfect.  
To me, presence means being 100% attentive and in-tune to what is going on.  I want to seize all of the moments for opportunity, yet enjoy the little things/accomplishments in my classroom. I think presence means truly being in and enjoying "in the moment"...a sense of togetherness.  The Lasallian concept of presence in my practice looks like engagement and full acceptance of all students.  These features are present in my classroom routines and teaching strategies.  For example: I place a high emphasis on classroom community and celebrating everyone's differences and recognizing similarities.  I focus a lot of time and energy on our classroom climate where everyone is accepted, loved and valued.  We are a family and we must learn to work together for common goals while encouraging each other to do their best.    


Stay Tuned for my future thoughts on:
Engagement

2 comments:

  1. Hey Jess, In response to your adaptation reflection, I'm sure you do more than you give yourself credit. Kindergartner is often one of the times to feel like you have a license to play, create and discover. I'm glad I get to teach kindergarten to allow for all the creativity and problem solving opportunities. I still feel the pressure to teach and assess but I know that my heart leads me in the other direction and it's always a balancing act. Opportunities like free play, re-enacting a story, or discovering what happens when paint mixes are simple yet valuable times in our classroom for the concept of adaptation to shine. You do it all the time every day as you help them discover that they can solve a problem, ask a friend for help or come up with a different way to solve a math story problem. Keep it up and enjoy it as you have MORE time next year to play, create and discover!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Rebecca for cheering me on! I'm glad my days of teaching 1/2 Day Kindergarten are behind me, as I've always enjoyed teaching Full Day K a lot more. You are right, this age level allows room for the concept of adaptation. As I'm planning and getting ready for next year already, I'd love to hear more on how you structure and organize your day. I'm looking forward to allowing the children more choice in their day. How long do you allow for Free Play or Choice Time? In the past I've done 20 minutes and have always wondered how much time other teachers allocate for their Choice Time.

    ReplyDelete