Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Fall Conference Reflection

Q:  How were you inspired by the fall conference sharing?
A:  The Fall Conference was interesting as I wasn’t quite sure how it would all work out.  I was a bit apprehensive going into the conference, but quickly found myself engaged.  When I was most engaged was when I met up with others from my grade level to discuss blogging.  I felt least engaged toward the end of the day as I was getting tired of sitting and my mind began to wonder about the upcoming week.

Q:  What ideas did you gain that you will take back to your classroom?
A:  I am excited to learn how my “bloggy” friends are doing with their Action Research in their own classrooms.  Many of them are implementing Daily 5 into their teaching and I am interested in learning more techniques before jumping into it myself. I will learn more about this as the year goes on and I am able to gain knowledge about this through reading their blogs.

Q:  Consider the Lasallian principles of AGAPE. Which aspects were supported through the sharing and how?
A:  I think that the conference allowed many opportunities for the Lasallian principles of AGAPE through the sharing and collaborating with others who teach at the same level.  Association, generativity, adaptive, presence and engagement were all present at the conference. 
 
For association, we were all able to collaborate and cooperate with others from different learning communities to better our techniques.

For generativity, we were all able to contribute in a non-threatening and safe environment.  I felt that we were valued as a learner.

For adaptation, I was able to expand my thinking beyond myself and listen to others. I had to adapt to a new environment and new people in the small group break-out sessions.

For presence, I think that it all depended on the person and what their attitude is before entering the conference.   Some people were very open, friendly and welcoming and truly wanted to learn from others while others didn’t seem very present.

For engagement, I think that is it very similar to presence in the fact that some people seemed to enjoy their time and make the most out of the conference while others were there just because they had to be there.  I was lucky that I joined a blogging group who welcomed me and seemed to be very present and engaged in our conversations.

No comments:

Post a Comment