Friday, September 13, 2013

My Summer Research Reflection

What did you learn in your summer reading and writing of the ROL that EVERY teacher should know regarding the topic?  
My topic that I choose to research this summer was implementation of literacy centers in a kindergarten classroom.  One thing that I think every teachers should know regarding the topic of literacy centers in a kindergarten classroom is that teachers do NOT need to change out the activities every week.  Instead, teachers should keep their activities in literacy centers open ended.

How is your topic important to others who teach in your level/concept area?
Literacy centers (aka- literacy work stations or LWS) are great to implement in a kindergarten classroom because it offers students a learning environment in which they are actively engaged, involved and on-task, while guiding their own learning and discovery.

How has it or will it impact or shape what you have already done and will be doing in the upcoming weeks?  

My research this summer has opened my eyes on how to begin to implement literacy centers in my classroom.  Research says start sssslllloooowwww and to form a community of learners.  In the past, I've always wanted to just jump into the academics right away, but I've learned that if I want my students to be successful during their center time, I need to be very explicit in directions and instructions and give them plenty of time to explore the areas and materials before expecting them to learn with them.

No comments:

Post a Comment